Sunday, September 4, 2011

Recent visits to my midwife have been forcing me to face the fact that my baby is probably going to be here early. I’m at the point now where this is no longer bad news, though it is equal parts exciting and scary (I swing back and forth between feeling wholly unprepared and just ready to get this part over with and begin the next chapter of my life). Currently, I’m dilated two and a half centimeters and am 90% effaced. My midwife described it to me as being about a quarter of the way through labor already, before my labor has even begun. She was concerned about these stats two weeks ago, when I was still five weeks away from my official due date, but now she says this is actually a pretty good place to be. The baby’s big and healthy and is in the correct position; she seems ready to come out, and my body is clearly ready. She would not be considered a preemie at this point, and there would be no real risks if she was born right now.

The knowledge that she could be here any day has kicked me into high gear in terms of preparing for her arrival. I’m suddenly very concerned about the state of her nursery, what we have left to get for her, and how we will cope with taking care of her as the fall gets into full swing (Damien’s teaching two classes and working as the Managing Editor of New Ohio Review; I’m only teaching one online class, but still, even that one class, I must admit, makes me nervous—I have no idea how busy a newborn baby is going to keep me or how difficult grading papers will be on little or no sleep :P).

I’ve felt distracted and sort of fuzzy in the head for the past few months, which has made it difficult to write. Now, I pretty much can’t think about anything but getting things ready for the baby. I’ve been making trips to various stores every day or two, suddenly feeling like I should pick up another pack of diapers and baby wipes, or thinking of some other pressing thing—a play mat, say—that I need to look at in person to think about which one we should eventually get. I’m also obsessed with spending a lot of floor time with my cat, Franny, who I’m determined will not feel neglected when the baby gets here.

The end result is that, though for a while there during the summer I felt like I got into a decent groove with my writing, I’ve pretty much lost it as a writer and don’t see any sign of it coming back any time soon. There is just too much else on my mind. I’ve been fighting and fighting this ever since I found out I was pregnant, but I think I’ve reached a point now where I’m sort of okay with it. I’m worried if I try to force something that clearly doesn’t want to come right now, I’ll end up doing more harm than good. If I allow myself to spiral into feelings of self-loathing and blame, I’ll begin to associate those negative feelings with the act of writing, and if I let myself spend too long questioning my abilities as a writer, whatever abilities I do have will likely retreat even further into their shell of insecurity.

But this doesn’t mean that I’m not still hoping to write. I guess what I’m saying is, I’m not going to worry about it for the next few weeks. If I wake up one morning with words dancing in my head, you better believe I’m going to rush to my computer and get them down. But I’m not going to force myself to sit and stare at a blank screen, and I’m not going to let a bit of a dry spell make me feel like I’m a failure with no skill, like my first book was just a fluke and I’ll never, never, never be able to do it again.

In the meantime, blogging helps me to at least think through writing related issues, and I’m going to keep writing letters to my daughter, also, though they’re getting more and more expository and dull. I’ll keep writing them anyway, and later, I’ll try to revise them into something more interesting, something she might actually want to read.

4 comments:

  1. It's so close! This is definitely going to take up a lot of your brain space. I would think about how much time it takes to work on your online class per week, then hire a babysitter for those hours or force yourself to leave the house and work. I know Damien will be around to see the baby and take care of her, but you will want to be right there with him most of the time.

    Wouldn't it be funny to have her on Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I like the idea of going into labor on labor day. We'll see :)

    Unfortunately, hiring a babysitter isn't an option for financial reasons. I actually would have liked to just take the quarter off altogether, but we need the money, and I don't really make enough from teaching this one class to justify spending part of it on a babysitter. I think just teaching one online class will end up working out, as long as I don't put pressure on myself about writing on top of it. The online schedule affords me the flexibility of working while she's napping or after Damien gets home, and Damien actually wants to have some time alone with the baby just the two of them, since I'll get to spend most of the day while he's at work alone with the baby. Plus, we've got people visiting almost non-stop through the month of October, which means free babysitting if I do need to just get out of the house for a while. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ashley.

    Congrats on your baby! I'm a writer/work-at-home mommy and I had the same problems you described, except I let myself descend into the self-loathing for awhile. Then, like you, I decided to just give myself a break and enjoy being a mom. When my daughter was 6 months old, words started dancing in my head again.

    Now my baby is approaching her first birthday, and I teach (online) and write while she plays beside me. It's tough sometimes, but it's also the best life ever.

    Have fun, and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Marie! This gives me hope :)

    ReplyDelete