Sunday, January 15, 2012

So I got a rejection the other day that really bothered me. It burrowed its way deep inside my brain and hunkered down, having apparently made up its mind that this would be a lovely place to live. It wasn’t your typical sort of rejection. It didn’t come from a journal or an agent or a publisher. It didn’t offer any chance of personal feedback or the suggestion to try again. This was a rejection for a grant, an artist’s grant through the Ohio Arts Council.

When I applied for the grant, I knew it was a long shot. Only ten percent of the artists who apply, the application instructions said, receive funding. Still, I felt I had a decent enough shot that it was worth my time to put together the application materials. After all, the stories I included as my writing sample had all been published both in journals and in my award winning book, and two of them were nominated for Pushcarts.

The application process was complicated, the instructions poorly put together and lengthy. When it came time to mail the materials in, the grant instructions directed me to send the package to the wrong address, so, after my materials were returned to sender, I then had to hunt down the correct address, mail it priority, and hope I was actually finished this time.

Maybe it’s because it was such a time and energy consuming process applying for the damn thing that I started to feel an unwarranted sense of entitlement about this grant. I should definitely get this, I began to tell myself. Why wouldn’t I? I’m a good writer. I know people like these stories—there’s no gamble there. Only ten percent of the applications are approved, but just imagine how many of those come from amateurs who have deluded themselves into believing their not-ready-for-prime-time stuff is good. No way was I one of those amateurs. Nuh-uh. Not a chance.

Right.

I became so convinced I was going to get the grant, I started planning out how I would spend the $5,000—no joke! I was going to embark on a book tour across Ohio, and try my best to get my book in the hands of as many readers as possible. I could never afford to do something like that right now, but with that grant . . .

Of course, I didn’t get it. Incidentally, I knew I hadn’t gotten it before I got the email informing me of the fact. I knew because, in a series of events involving Facebook comments and the friend of a friend, I learned that the people who did get the grant had already been contacted. And I hadn’t heard anything yet.

So. When I received an email from the OAC, my heart only lurched a little bit. I opened it and scanned through, knowing already what I would find. The grant committee has met bla bla sorry to inform you bla bla bloo. They could have said, “Dear Amateur, quit wasting our time,” and the rejection wouldn’t have hit me any harder.

First, I was bummed.

Then, I was ashamed, very, very ashamed. For actually thinking I stood a chance.

Normally, rejections don’t really get to me, and even when they do, they don’t get to me as much as this one did. I had to talk it out with Damien—I don’t usually dwell on rejections, you see, so I don’t usually talk about them with Damien besides to say, “Guess who’s one point closer to Amazon bucks?”—because I knew if I said it out loud, it would seem ridiculous that I was so bothered. It did, and I felt better getting it out there, but I also realized that the reason this rejection hurt so much was because I had allowed myself to believe I was better than I actually am.

This is sort of the roller coaster of being a writer, at least this is how it’s always been for me. You have some smallish series of successes and begin to believe you must have arrived, or are at least well on your way. Then something happens—a rejection, a bad workshop, maybe even just the realization that the aforementioned successes don’t mean much in the grand scheme of things—and you’re knocked down a peg or two, maybe not all the way down to where you started, but certainly down to where you belong.

And the truth is, this is necessary. This is exactly as it should be. We need to be reminded that we’re not brilliant, that we do have to keep working very hard if we want those successes to keep coming. We need to be reminded that for every one person who likes what we’ve written, at least one (and probably many more) doesn’t. We need to remember these things lest we stagnate in our own hubris. Nothing is more damaging to a work of art, in my opinion, than the artist’s belief that he or she can do no wrong. If nothing else, our failures can motivate us to succeed next time, just like that old cliché: the only real failures are the people who give up.

6 comments:

  1. I had this happen recently too. I applied for a writing workshop. They were looking for people who wrote in the borderlands between literary and speculative fiction. I thought, "hey! I've almost got an MFA, I've been to Clarion West - I'm perfect for this!" I got so excited I started stressing out about how to pay for it. And of course I got rejected. It knocked the wind out of me. I'm not sure why it hurt so much. Like you, rejections from journals don't phase me that much anymore. But you're totally right - I needed that punch to my ego to let me know I need to get busy making my writing better, so that someday I can be at that level. :) Never give up, never surrender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing that, Jenni. Damien's been teasing me mercilessly since he read this post. I told him I know I CAN'T be the only one who something like this has happened to :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that I had an experience like this when I applied for a grant for children's books. I had in my head that I'd be up against less experienced writers since I have an MFA and most MFA types are probably aiming their sites on more literary endeavors rather than kids' books. I figured that if I didn't actually get the grant, my writing sample should at least make their list of honorable mentions or whatever they called it, worthy projects or something like that. It really knocked me down when I didn't get anything more than a form letter, and it took away my passion for that project. It's been a couple years now, and, sadly, I have yet to even do a second draft of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered why you had stopped working on that book. Well you should keep working on it. It was good (the chapter that I read, anyway), whether the people on the grant committee recognized that or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. up and down on the writer rollercoaster. yes me too! from loftiness to shame in an all too flaky moment. adam.

    ReplyDelete