Sunday, February 24, 2013

After a lengthy, miserable bout with depression, last month I finally went to my doctor and got a prescription for an anti-depressant. I’ve been feeling lousy for quite a while now; I couldn’t even tell you how long, months and months and months. At first I thought I was just having post-partum depression, but I just kept sinking and sinking until I finally reached a point, a couple months ago, where I realized that I had never been so depressed in my entire life and that, more important, I couldn’t bear the thought of living the rest of my life feeling that way.

I hesitated about going to the doctor, though, because I was afraid that nothing would work. Silly, right? I know it is, but I had this intense fear that I would get on medication after medication and just keep feeling the same, until I would finally have to accept that this is all there is for me, now, and that things will never get better. I had to force myself to schedule an appointment by reminding myself that my depression affects not just me but my husband and daughter, too. It’s one thing to choose to wallow in your own misery, but it isn’t fair to make other people wallow with you.

So here’s how I’d been feeling: empty, numb, uninterested in everything. I was eating a lot, but not because eating made me feel better. I suppose I had this idea that if I ate that candy bar or cookie, it might make me feel good, and then when it didn’t, I would eat another, thinking maybe the second time would be the charm. I wasn’t listening to much music. I wasn’t reading. I wasn’t writing. I watched things on Netflix, but with the exception of American Horror Story, which for whatever reason seemed to be the only thing that was able to really engage me during this dark period, I would just sort of sit and zone out to whatever I was watching, not really enjoying any of it.

Obviously, this was very distressing. It’s not like I’m normally little miss sunshine, but I’m usually able to focus on the things in life that I think make life worth living—good literature, good movies, good music, writing. Writing has been like an anti-depressant for me for many years. When everything else feels grim and pointless, I can always count on getting lost in my own creative process as I invent other realities, other people, other lives. In fact, I’ve found in the past that when I go more than a week or so without writing, I tend to start feeling listless and depressed.

But this time, my depression stopped my writing cold. I didn’t have any desire to do it, and when I would try to force myself, it didn’t feel good. Didn’t feel like anything.

It’s not even an issue, really, of productivity. It’s not because I envision myself as a writer, and when I don’t write, I don’t feel like myself (although that’s true), and it’s not because I have all these writing related goals, projects I want to complete, achievements I want to reach. The reason why it matters so much is because writing helps me deal with the world. Writing is my life vest, my buoy. When I’m not writing, I’m drowning.

So I got a prescription for sertraline and started the slow, anxious process of waiting to see if it would work. And you know what? It did, or at least, it’s started to. I don’t feel back to 100% yet. I’m still not writing or reading as much as I usually do, but I’m feeling better. Work doesn’t feel like such a burden anymore, and the little tedious “have to”’s of life don’t feel so all-encompassing. Life is beginning to feel manageable again, in other words, and I am starting to daydream again about my writing. I’ve been pacing around the house, with music playing, and thinking about the novel I’m working on. It’s a good feeling—feeling anything at all is good—and I’m so glad I finally took the step to do something about my depression.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Ashley. My names is Miles (fictionwritersboast.com). I'm new to the world of blogging, and was just sort of nosing around, checking out what other authors are doing with their sites. Your experience with depression snagged my attention, as I'm what you might call a career-case. I think I was legitimately born that way. Like you, I have a degree in writing (and, for that matter, was a teaching assistant for a fiction class in college), so I've got quite some hours in, dealing with what you describe. I've struggled with all manners of trying to squint through that murk, and meet whatever expectation had for me that day.

    Quite a bit of my difficulty has been with songwriting; I'm a former pro musician. It's weird because, except for my deepest bouts--the darkest consumptions, where I feel like I'm actually on drugs or something--my fiction mind can remain intact. Sometimes it's enhanced, even. With songs though, I lose contact, completely, with that place from where both hook-writing and inspired improv come (the same place, I think).

    To the point, with me, yeah, I can always cobble something together in that state--but it's just that...cobbling something together...contriving something on principal. In the past ten years, I've come to terms with that, and only try to force my head into that space when I really want to abuse myself. I wrote my last song 15 months ago (yet cranked out a novel in that time). Odd how the curse is different for everyone.

    These days, I just wait for it to pass. I'm lucky, I guess; it's nice, when I start acting up, being able to switch from one medium to another that's more receptive. Still, I wish I had more control in terms of seeing what I need to see at will--regardless of what my depression wants. I feel like that's what pros SHOULD be able to do, across all disciplines (at my own expense). As a session guitar player, it took me twenty years to reach that point...where it's just there when you need it--any time, any place--regardless of anything. I succeeded in THAT arena, yet it took years of outright aggression toward myself, in terms of practice and odd head rituals, to get there. So I was intrigued by your account of determining to squint through that weather...and produce something meaningful. Depression is a very real vision-killer.

    I gathered that you're having some luck in pulling it together though, and I'm glad for that. Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and drop my six cents. Hope all is well. --Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Largely unrelated to depression (though I do have bipolar disorder), do you recall the time frame during which you received your acceptance letter from the UAF fCreative Writing program? I recently applied and am wondering when I can begin to despair. Thank you for your help. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't despair yet, Sarah. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I didn't hear anything until March. Good luck!

      Delete