Sunday, April 22, 2012

In the house across the street from mine lives a small family—a mother, a father, and maybe two or three kids. They have a swingset in their yard, and now that the weather is warm and beautiful, you often see one or two girls swinging away. It reminds me of how much I loved to swing when I was a kid—well, I still love swinging, to be honest. When I was little, I’d spend hours, HOURS, on the swingset in our backyard. I used to bring my little portable CD player out with me and listen to music and swing until either A) a bee would come by and scare me back inside, or B) my mom would call me in for dinner.

Now, I am thirty-one years old. My hair is turning white, one long, wispy strand at a time. I am a mother, a wife, a college instructor. Strange though it seems, I am a grown-up. I’m not sure when that happened, but somewhere along the line, when I was looking the other way, I guess, I passed through childhood, through young adulthood, and ended up here.

As you may have noticed from last week’s post, I’ve been feeling a bit depressed lately about my prospects as a writer/college instructor. These things didn’t bother me that much before I had a baby, but now, at times, I’m completely consumed by my desire to publish more, land a decent job, and generally find a bit of stability for myself and my family. I feel frustrated that my daughter won’t get to grow up with a nice backyard and a swingset, like I did. I feel frustrated that every summer, we don’t even make enough money to cover our basic living expenses (true story: the summer I signed my book contract, we DESPERATELY needed the money I got for my advance. I honestly don’t know what we would have done if that bit of luck hadn’t happened at just the right time. We would have emptied out our savings account well before the end of the summer).

I think to some extent, having published my first book a little over a year ago adds to these feelings. When I first found out I was getting the book published, I thought it was going to create a sort of domino effect for my career. I imagined I could use the fact that I was getting one book published as leverage to get an agent and publish another. Then, with two published books and an agent, I would go out and land myself a full time job, which would afford me a stable enough income that I could write more and more books without the distraction of worrying about money all the time or having to work during the summer.

Of course, that isn’t what happened. It’s hard to say whether having a book published already made any difference when I was querying agents last time around. It may have—at least one agent told me my credentials were “impressive”—but I probably got about the same average of manuscript requests as I did when I was querying agents without a published book under my belt, and,  just like before, all of those still ended in eventual rejection.

And the more time that passes since my book’s publication date, the more I think prospective agents, editors, and employers alike are going to ask, “Alright, but what have you done lately?” I have this overwhelming fear that if I don’t publish another book in the next couple of years, having published a book won’t really matter at all anymore—in terms of being a stepping stone for my career, anyway. If you don’t keep steadily climbing higher on the ladder, the rungs get too slippery and you fall clear off.

But who knows? Maybe I’ll be able to pull myself back onto the ladder. I haven’t fallen off yet, I don’t think. Right now, I’m just sort of dangling, looking down and up and back down again, trying to find some way to regain my purchase. I’ve been writing again, and that’s a good first step. I’ve started submitting again, too: ten submissions a month, just like I used to do. I’m very, very seriously considering applying for PhD programs, and I’m even thinking about trying to get a seat in a graduate level workshop at Ohio University (since Damien’s an employee, I can take classes for half-tuition). Whatever happens, I’m going to try not to let these feelings of failure get the better of me. There is still hope, isn’t there? There is always still hope.

5 comments:

  1. from this side of the pond it looks like youve got a lot going for you, the core being that youre a good writer. thats by no means saying your points aren't valid, there's a recession-depressive atmosphere everywhere. but the recession cant encroach on that core. adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adam. That makes me feel a lot better :)

      Delete
  2. This will be in two parts because the original was too long.

    First, I want to comment that I don't like it when people claim that feeling depression is irrational and leads to a distorted view of the world. I think that depression is often very rational and that if we all recognized the realities of the world we live in, we'd be depressed all the time. (Have you ever read The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus? If not, you should check it out.) So I don't think your down feelings are misguided, but I also think the thing with feathers is still out there.

    The reality is that you're totally right that it's super hard to make a decent living in your chosen career field. It's tough to pinpoint precise figures, but I've read that it may be as few as 1% of creative writing MFAs actually end up with full-time teaching positions. I've read statistics about PhDs that only between 16% and 50% can expect to land professorships, and that's across the board, not just PhDs in the arts. Certainly, the reality is depressing. And I think the first step in moving through an episode of reality-induced depression is to acknowledge that truth. Then you can regroup with adjusted expectations.

    For me, the time after grad school has been spent adjusting my expectations and trying to understand the reality of what I face. I suspect you've been doing the same thing, but there's always more of it to do. When you started fantasizing about how your book publication would change your situation, I think you let reality get away from you a bit, so now you're just coming back to it again.

    However, I think reality also provides some good reason for you to feel hopeful. Just looking at statistics, what are the chances of getting published when you submit a manuscript to a journal? One percent? Half of one percent? Maybe for some less discerning journals, it would be five or ten percent? You've beaten those odds time and again. For your book, how many submissions did they have? A few hundred? And yours was the one chosen to publish. You're already in the top tier of exceeding the realistic expectations for MFA graduates, especially within only three years of graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So will you end up in the 1% with a good full-time teaching job? I bet you will. Will it be within your first five years of graduation? Maybe. Maybe not, but I seriously think it will happen. Again, adjusting expectations is something I find useful. Rather than thinking of yourself as getting old at the age of thirty-one, I'd recommend giving yourself at least five more years, and I'd say ten is even better, and then think about where you are with your career and finances.

    Something I've found useful when I've gone through these bouts of depression about how hard it is to make a living in this field is to consider other options and evaluate what else I could do. I've thought about things like working in an office again or even teaching high school. One thing I've found useful about considering those other options is just to acknowledge that there are other possibilities out there, that I'm not stuck forever. In my case, I decided that those other options were worse, and that helped clarify that I wanted to continue on the path I was on. Plus, when I acknowledged other options I didn't want to pursue, I felt more active, that I was making a choice to do what I was doing, not just accepting a situation I had no control over. And that's my other general recommendation: look for choices you can make. For instance, I chose to go back to school this past year to focus on my teaching, and sure enough, that may have been the factor that pushed me over the edge and helped me land a full-time job. You're doing the same thing by considering taking a workshop class again or going for a PhD. Both seem like good options, and considering how little adjuncts get paid, it could be that a teaching assistantship for a PhD would actually make you more financially stable in the short term while also offering new opportunities in the long term.

    So I recommend you keep doing what you're doing to evaluate your position and make choices about what you can do to keep improving and making yourself even more competitive in a very difficult job market, and keep your ears open for the thing singing the tune without the words. It never stops, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Justus. That really helps. That's a good point that so, so, soooo few MFA's (and even PhD's) go on to get full-time creative writing jobs. It's a depressing statistic, but one that oddly helps me feel less failure-y. For some reason, the fact that my hair is turning white makes me feel like my time is running out, but thirty-one isn't really so old, is it? There's still time.

      Delete