Sunday, April 15, 2012

Last year, I got back from AWP to find, in my stack of mail, a manuscript request from an agent. His eventual rejection of my novel pointed out that I had “impressive credentials.” This year, I returned from AWP to a form rejection for a job. These facts pretty much sum up the difference between how I felt about having a published book a year ago—hopeful, confident that it somehow mattered—and how I feel about it now.

One rejection from a job isn’t such a big deal, you’re right, but I haven’t even landed a single interview, not even for the jobs I would have otherwise thought I’m well qualified for. I’ve heard that the job market for fiction professors is particularly competitive, that many of the applicants have multiple books published by major presses, have appeared in Best American and the Pushcart anthologies, and have logged a few years of Visiting Writer experience. They are, you see, much farther along in their careers than someone like me, who has only one measly book and has been teaching adjunct at a community college for the past three years.

And the thing is, I know, I guess I’ve known for a while, that the standard route is to apply for Visiting Writer positions (the full year stints) after publishing a first book but before applying for full time jobs. A few years of Visiting Writer gigs allows you to fill out your CV a bit while buying yourself time to get a second or maybe even third book out there. But I have a small child to take care of. I can’t move my family from place to place every year—I want my daughter to grow up in a more stable environment. On top of that, I’m in my freakin’ thirties, for cripe’s sake. I’m starting to feel a bit old to be cobbling together part time work and temporary positions.

So this all raises the question, why am I wasting my time in a field where I’ll be struggling paycheck to paycheck for most of my life? Why am I so keen to stay in a field where an entry level position is a part time job at a lousy salary, a field where it will take years of hard work and perseverance to get to a point where I can actually do more than just scrape by? I get enough rejection from the actual publishing side of being a writer. Do I really want to stay in a career where I get rejected from having a decent job too?

The job prospects for the other field I’m interested in—children’s librarianship—aren’t much better. The children’s librarian at our local library only works part time, too, and when I asked her a while ago for advice on entering into the field, she warned me that the pay is low and the jobs, hard to come by.

Great.

What am I doing with my life?

I don’t know. Maybe I’m asking too much. Damien has a good part time job as the Managing Editor of New Ohio Review. He has benefits, and though he doesn’t make much money, between the two of us, we can teach enough classes as adjuncts to bring in the extra we need to pay the bills and feed our child. Maybe I should just be happy with what we’ve got and feel lucky we’ve got the degrees and experience to have jobs at all, no matter how unreliable.

Still, it’s so depressing to think that our daughter is growing up in a family where neither parent has a full time job. Are we setting a bad example for Amalie? Should we give up and go out and get office jobs? I couldn’t tell you. I really don’t know.

6 comments:

  1. I've got several thoughts on this post. First, I can relate to the frustration and waves of depression that come from thinking about job prospects, but it's important to remember that you're still really young. I think it's probably unrealistic to expect to land a creative writing job at your stage, but that doesn't mean things won't be different in five or ten years, which is still a relatively short period of time. My approach has always been to hope for that kind of job by my forties at the earliest.

    Second, I have to admit I don't really understand the concern with moving around. Admittedly, I don't have kids, but it doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal to move around a bit while Amalie is still so young. Once she starts school, it would make sense to want more stability, but that's still several years away. And yeah, it's a pain to pick up and move regularly, but it may be a trade off that's worth it if that's the career you truly want to pursue.

    Third, don't you think you're setting a good example for Amalie by demonstrating that there are things more important than money? That it's good to pursue one's dreams, even if it means living a less financially comfortable life?

    Fourth, not to get too Pollyanna on you, but you've got a lot to be glad about. You are financially stable, including benefits right now. That in itself is doing better than a lot of people. Plus, you have a wonderful daughter and a great husband. Your life is quite enviable.

    Finally, I think it makes a lot of sense to regularly evaluate your options, like considering getting an office job, but don't forget to consider more possibilities. If I recall correctly, you mentioned before that you didn't want to apply for any jobs that would involve a heavier teaching load than 3/3. Rather than abandoning academia, you could consider some 4/4 or 5/5 composition positions. There are full-time jobs out there that wouldn't mean working in an office, and you could still have summers off to write.

    The tough thing is to accept the reality of the life you've chosen for yourself. It's certainly not ideal when it comes to finances and raising a kid, but there's still a lot of good in it. Think of how many people scrape by working retail for minimum wage. Or, even worse, consider those people who made practical choices to study business or computers and are out of work or struggling to hold down jobs in the current economy. You're pursuing a dream, and you're incredibly successful for someone so young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't think it's completely unrealistic to try for a CW job. I know of several people at my stage or even not yet at my stage (people who haven't even published a book) who have landed full-time CW jobs. They're often not tenure track jobs, but still . . . Of course, many (who knows, maybe all) of these people might have gotten uncommonly lucky (knowing the right people, already having been teaching at that school as an adjunct when the position opened up, etc.). And yeah, I pretty much have let go of my refusal to teach higher than a 3/3 load. That I think definitely WAS unrealistic for a first-time, full-time job.

    The problem with comp jobs is that most of them require a PhD (preferably in in Rhet/Comp). Community College level jobs usually don't, but at the university level, I've found very, very, VERY few openings for comp instructors that don't require a PhD. (And even some community college ones, like this one job I applied for recently in Columbus, state that they "prefer" applicants with PhD's.) Ug. The only thing I'm really qualified for is CW jobs.

    You're totally right, though, about the moving around thing. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, especially while Amalie is so young. By the time she starts school (which is only four or five years away), I really want to be settled, though. I want to give her the best chance possible of making friends and not growing up too socially anxious.

    I think I'm going to start looking at applying for PhD programs again. At this point, I think my best case scenerio would be to go for a PhD. That would allow me to take workshops again ( huge plus in my eyes), I would have more reliable income, I would buy myself some extra time to try to get another book out there, and if nothing else, I would graduate with a degree that looks better for comp jobs. But who knows if I'll be able to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're definitely right that some people get lucky through factors that you can't really control for, like working at the school already or knowing the right people. But you've been lucky too in getting to teach some creative writing and lit already. That's pretty unusual for an adjunct. I suspect you're probably standing out with your credentials, but those jobs are just so competitive that you may need a few more years of experience or another book or more journal credits under your belt first. Most job postings I've seen indicate they want someone with at least three to five years of teaching experience, and you're only finishing your third year after grad school. That in itself may be enough reason to give you a form rejection if they have a ton of applicants with similar qualifications and much more experience. I'm sure you're right that there are people who land those jobs at an unusually young age, but I suspect the more typical route is for a first full-time CW job to come in one's late thirties or forties. I can think of one person I know who has a bunch of journal credits, a book, several pushcart nominations and one pushcart win, two master's degrees, some visiting writing experience, and about a decade of teaching experience after grad school, and that person is just now reaching the stage where she may finally land a full-time CW job. I think it'll happen for you eventually; I'd say give it a few more years before getting too despondent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ashley!

    Library funding is in a downward spiral. Mike makes minimum wage at his library job. He'd make more working at a coffee shop or bookstore. He's had a couple of offers for a promotion to full-time that the library reneged on at the last minute. Instead of promoting him, they completely cut the position after the person holding it quit the library for a job with better pay. Even the full-time, professional librarians I know who have master's degrees in library science are working three jobs just to make ends meet. Unless working at a library is your calling, I'd suggest not journeying down that path.

    Sometimes I think a good, administrative assistant, 9-5 job would be great. The only thing is that the people you work with can treat you like you're an idiot (and no one who holds that position is - they're amazing), and that can be frustrating and draining at the end of the day. But it can also be a good drive to get some writing done, to make each day count in a way that isn't tied to your day job.

    A PhD program sounds like a good bridge to a professorship. You can spend more time writing and you'll have another credential under your (already impressive) belt.

    You're a wonderful writer and an amazing teacher. Your dedication inspires me every day to work harder. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jenni! Yeah, I wonder sometimes if life might be a lot easier and a lot happier if I just worked behind a desk somewhere and had my job be a very minor, background part of my life. That way my family, writing, and all the other things I enjoy could be what my life is really about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I feel your pain. At least you have a book to your name, which is more than a lot of writers can say.

    ReplyDelete